Why custom catalysts?
Have you ever thought of outsourcing your company’s catalyst design or manufacturing needs to an expert in sophisticated catalyst production? Then look no further because Evonik offers an outstanding way to jointly optimize efficiency or a path to increase profits and flexibility. Our broad custom catalyst service portfolio will help you to create added value by addressing your specific needs. Together we can make a difference!
A project is always required if a product needs to be developed or has not been produced on a commercial scale at Evonik. With some applications catalysts from our product portfolio will provide the reaction you are looking for.
How Evonik can help
Let's optimize operational efficiencies for sustained competitiveness! A high-performance catalyst drives your process technology to maximum profitability, be it in specialty chemicals, petrochemicals, or refining. A tailored catalyst can help you remain or become a technology leader by maximizing your plant output, reducing by-products, and saving raw materials over many years of operations.
Let's increase profitability and manufacturing flexibility! Outsourcing some or all your company’s catalyst manufacturing needs to an expert in sophisticated catalyst production can be an outstanding way to increase profits and give you the flexibility to concentrate on your core operations.
We can create additional or tailored operations for your requirements based on our broad technical capabilities.
Our catalyst finishing and forming capabilities:
- Precipitation and hydrothermal treatment
- Drying of powders and pellets; spray drying of slurries
- Powder mixing / compacting / milling / dry blending
- Length grading
- Forming: extrusion, tableting, granulation and ball forming,
- Precious metal or base metal impregnation or coating of extrudates, spheres or powders; incipient wetness, uniform and thin shell impregnation
- Calcination up to 1000 °C of powders and pellets in air, nitrogen and steam (stationary and continuous)
- Reduction with hydrogen (up to 50 vol.-% H₂ in nitrogen) and optional passivation (e.g. Ni-catalysts)
- Regeneration (e.g., washing with water and acids, drying, removal of dust and VOC coke combustion)
- Pilot/semi-works plant
- Transportation (truck or rail, bulk or packaged)
We offer four different custom catalyst models:
- Toll Processing: Your catalyst manufacturing process has already been well defined and elaborated. We produce the catalyst according to your specifications.
- Custom Manufacturing: Your catalyst exists, but it has not yet been produced on a commercial scale. We have the know-how to scale-up and produce your catalyst.
- Custom Design: Your existing commercial application is there, but you haven`t produced a catalyst yet. We have the means to develop your new catalyst based on our proprietary know-how and catalyst expertise.
- Joint Development: A new catalyst is needed for a process still being developed. We work closely together to deliver your catalyst and application solution.
Do you strive for more production flexibility, improved supply security, or are you looking for a regional production alternative for your specific catalyst demand?
We offer you a unique variety of services and capabilities, from catalyst toll processing to custom manufacturing, making us the ideal team partner for your contract manufacturing needs.
- In toll manufacturing projects, you have already well defined and elaborated the composition of your catalyst and its manufacturing process, as well as the process in which the catalyst is applied. We transfer catalyst production to our site and produce the catalyst to your specification.
- In custom manufacturing projects, you have created a lab recipe of your new catalyst, but have not yet produced it on a commercial scale. We can scale-up your lab recipe into a procedure meant for a commercial catalyst plant. Once this is achieved, we produce the catalyst according to your specifications.
Your benefits at a glance:
- Fast production transfer and qualification times
- No additional capital investment, personnel, floor space, analytics or permits required
- Competitive & predictable costs
- Spot or long-term contracts
- Strong focus on protecting your IP
If you face unprecedented challenges or simply don't find what you are looking for in our comprehensive portfolio, please contact us. Our experts from custom catalysts are just one minute away from helping you.
Do you require a team partner to develop, scale-up and produce your customized catalyst? Are you searching for a reliable partner with whom you can build a trusting and long-term relationship? Do you need extensive catalyst & qualification expertise or consultancy on process interactions? Do you think about different customized supply scenarios for a final commercial catalyst? We provide more than 80 years of experience and expertise in catalyst development, scale-up, and manufacturing. Close cooperation with our skilled experts who have professional project management expertise is particularly valuable for developing a new, superior process or modifying a process to adapt to changes in feedstock or market needs to sustain competitiveness.
Depending on the required level of expertise and available resources, we can support you in different development stages, from scaling up existing catalyst recipes to developing a completely new catalyst technology.
- In custom design projects, we develop a new catalyst tailored to your existing commercial application using our proprietary know-how and catalyst expertise. Your requirements may range from a drop-in solution for an existing system to finetuning catalyst properties to achieve higher process efficiency or new product properties. Our general application know-how in many petrochemical, refinery, and polyolefin processes will create tangible advantages for you.
- In joint development projects, we develop a new catalyst for your process, which may still be developed or is not yet finally defined. Here we can combine a significant portfolio of available materials and unit operations with broad application know-how to your benefit. Where required, we may also contribute process engineering competencies based on our broad competence portfolio as a diversified Chemicals player.
We are your partner of choice for a trusting, long-term and confidential cooperation that addresses your individual catalyst needs and requirements and turns your challenges into success.
Your benefits at a glance:
- Get access to our extensive and knowledgeable teams for research and development, reaction engineering, and legal services
- Make use of our global network of R&D labs, production sites, and test facilities
- Choose between multiple carrier options from captively produced and/or tailored materials to commercially available grades
- Save time by utilizing our broad set of know-how, permits, and analytics to enable a speedy project execution
- Rely on competitive & predictable costs
- Enjoy the highest standards in safety, development, scale-up, manufacturing, quality & project management, confidentiality, and compliance
- We take care of IP management and are open to an exclusive catalyst cooperation
If you face unprecedented challenges or simply don't find what you are looking for in our comprehensive portfolio, please contact us. Our experts from custom catalysts are just one minute away from helping you find a solution.
If one of the models does not perfectly fit to your requirement, let`s discuss and jointly find the solution! Contact us.